Forget About It!
by Dr. Robert Owens – 6/24/2020
President Trump, who was presented with numerous awards from Black organizations as a supporter of equality for all before the Democrats establishment and the Democrats who identify as journalists decided to accuse him of racism, works tirelessly to empower America’s forgotten communities.
According to President Trump on September 10, 2019, “We’re lifting up forgotten communities, creating exciting new opportunities, and helping every American find their path to the American Dream.”
A statement from the Trump White House staked out a basic tenant of President Trump’s stance regarding the importance of education in building for success in the African American community. “For over 180 years, America’s Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) have made extraordinary contributions to our country, helping bring the American Dream to millions of African-American students and many others.”
Addressing the 2019 National HBCU Week Conference, President Donald J. Trump said “Together, we will ensure that HBCUs continue to thrive and prosper and flourish for the countless generations to come,” as he pledged to keep building on his Administration’s work in support of these important institutions.
He pointed out the long and illustrious history of HBCUs in America saying, “For more than 180 years, HBCUs have strengthened our country and called our country to greatness. Your institutions have been pillars of excellence in higher education and the engines of advancement for African American citizens. It’s been incredible the job they’ve done.”
And President Trump has put legs to this vocal support. In his budgets he has spent more than any other president on HBCUs. In 2018, Trump appropriated more than three hundred and sixty million dollars–thirty-two million more than Obama.
And while it is easy to say that you are supportive of a cause actions speak louder than words. Here are some of the actions President Trump has taken to help build a better future for Americans:
PRIORITIZING EDUCATION: President Donald J. Trump has made supporting Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) a priority of his Administration.
- Barely a month after taking office, President Trump signed an Executive Order to move the Federal HBCU initiative back to the White House – making sure it is a key priority.
- President Trump directed agencies across his Administration to develop plans to enhance their support for HBCUs.
- President Trump has signed legislation increasing Federal funding for HBCUs.
- The President signed legislation that added more than $100 million for scholarships, research, and centers of excellence at HBCU land grant institutions.
- The Administration relaunched the HBCU Capital Finance Board to make millions of dollars available to support HBCUs’ long-term growth and improvement.
- The Administration has announced that any restrictions on those funds going to institutions with a religious mission is unconstitutional.
- The Administration is rethinking college by reducing regulatory burdens, promoting innovation, strengthening accountability, and respecting the unique mission of each school.
LIFTING UP COMMUNITIES: President Trump is ensuring that no citizen is forgotten, and no community is ignored.
- President Trump’s America First agenda is spurring investment and revitalization in our country’s most underserved communities.
- President Trump signed legislation creating Opportunity Zones, a game-changing vehicle to spur new capital investment in America’s economically distressed communities.
- Nearly 9,000 communities in all 50 States, the District of Columbia, and 5 Territories have been designated as Opportunity Zones.
- Opportunity Zones are projected to attract $100 billion in private investments to the American communities that need these investments most.
- President Trump created a White House Opportunity and Revitalization Council to help ensure we are lifting these communities.
- Since its creation, the Council has taken action to deliver additional Federal support to Opportunity Zones.
- Median income for African American-headed households rose by 2.6 percent between 2017 and 2018.
- The poverty rates for African Americans and Hispanic Americans each reached new series lows in 2018.
- Nearly 2.5 million have been lifted out of poverty in the first two years of the Administration.
INVESTING IN OUR WORKFORCE: President Trump is promoting workforce development to ensure all Americans share in our historic economic revival.
- President Trump is supporting American workers to ensure all Americans can benefit from today’s thriving economy.
- More than 350 companies have signed President Trump’s “Pledge to America’s Workers,” offering more than 13 million employment, education, and training opportunities.
- President Trump’s National Council for the American Worker is developing strategies for training and retraining workers for the jobs of today and tomorrow.
- Last year, the President signed legislation reauthorizing nearly $1.3 billion in funding for career and technical education, benefitting millions of Americans.
- The President’s pro-growth policies are generating millions of new jobs – creating more and more opportunities for American workers.
- More than 6.3 million new jobs have been created since President Trump’s election and job openings continue to far exceed the number of job seekers.
CREATING A FAIRER JUSTICE SYSTEM: President Trump’s criminal justice reforms are keeping our communities safe and giving Americans a second chance to succeed.
- President Trump is ensuring that former prisoners can find jobs and build meaningful lives after rejoining their communities.
- The President signed the groundbreaking First Step Act, enacting historic reforms to make our criminal justice system fairer for all and to help prepare prisoners to successfully rejoin society.
- These reforms helped to remedy unfair sentencing provisions that disproportionately hurt African Americans.
- This historic legislation promotes prisoner participation in vocational training, educational coursework, or faith-based programs.
- These reforms help keep all Americans safe by giving former prisoners the chance to find purpose and contribute to our economy, rather than returning to crime.
- President Trump is promoting second chance hiring to offer prisoners an opportunity to achieve the American dream.
- Departments and agencies across the Government are enacting initiatives to promote second chance hiring opportunities.
Evangelist Alveda King, the niece of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., is not helping Democrats with their accusations that President Donald Trump is a racist. In fact, she has quite the opposite to say. She tweeted, “I am the Niece of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Listen to my words, President Trump is not a racist!! He is one of the best presidents America has ever seen! I fully support him!”
Speaking to Fox News about the president King said, “I’ve had the experience of going head-to-head with genuine racists. Back in the 20th century, I was a youth organizer … and a racist is a person who really does believe that their race, their category of humanity is superior or different.”
She went on to call out Joe Biden and other Democrats for not being honest about Trump denouncing white supremacy, which King acknowledged the president has done several times.
She also said, “One thing really is getting to me and I’d like for you to look into this, the race-baiters who want to stir up fear and hate make us think we’re different when we’re one blood and one human race. President Trump says, ‘we all bleed the same,’ he’s really clear on that, he has done so much for all Americans, including African Americans.”
And there you have it. Some people for partisan reasons want to say that President Trump is a racist. However, if we look at what was said about him before he decided to run for president and had the audacity to win, if we listen to Black leaders such as Alveda King, or if we take time to actually look at his actions we learn that the opposite is true.
So is President Trump a racist? Forget about it!